What to Do: Career Break Secrets
Many career breakers go into their travels with the anticipation of encountering unique experiences – whether it’s picking up a new skill, volunteering, or just seeing inspiring parts of the world. And for Jeff Jung, he experienced all that and more.
[singlepic=1841,250,,,right]Brave and crazy. That’s what people said about me when I told them I was leaving my corporate job, packing up, selling off my stuff, and heading out to travel the world. That was in 2006. Four years later, I don’t regret the decision one bit; here’s why.
- On my career break, I learned to speak Spanish fluently.
- I learned how to ski for the first time.
- I woke up to the sunrise and sipped wine while watching the sun set in the Galapagos Islands.
- I went sailing on a felucca for 3 days on the Nile in Egypt.
But most of all, I got my life back.
Jeff now wants to help inspire other career break dreamers through his site Career Break Secrets, which will offer fun, informative video travel guides and resources to places and activities you want to know more about for your often-dreamed-about career break, sabbatical, or adult gap year.
The first season will cover Spain, South Africa, New Zealand, Patagonia (both Argentina and Chile) and Colombia.
We’ll be covering three types of career break activities:
- Those where you can pick up a new skill. For example, cooking school in Spain and sailing school in New Zealand.
- Those where you can give back. For example, in South Africa, we feature volunteer programs at a AIDS/HIV orphanage and a monkey sanctuary.
- Those that give you an interesting way to see a country. For example, walking the famous Camino de Santiago in northern Spain and taking the TransScenic rail across New Zealand.
All video guides will be downloadable to your iTunes library and available to watch on your computer, iPod or TV. And they are portable, so you can take them with you during your travels without worrying about the extra weight like guide books.
I personally can’t wait for Jeff’s video guides to come out. I’m already planning my next break to Patagonia based on the previews I’ve seen!
Until they are released, check out some of the Career Break Secret Rough Cuts.
[singlepic=1839,250,,,left]In addition to being founder of Career Break Secrets, Jeff Jung will be co-hosting the
Meet, Plan, Go! Austin event.