Photo Friday: A Career Break on Every Resume
The past few weeks has had Michaela Potter and Sherry Ott on the move for Meet, Plan, Go! – including local events in San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle, as well as conferences in Portland (World Domination Summit) and Vancouver (Travel Blog Exchange Conference).
In between, Michael Bontempi joined us for a strategic planning session with Sean Keener from BootsnAll. We utilized the time to map out our next six months, but also to set forth long-term goals for Meet, Plan, Go! – including our BHAG.
What’s a BHAG you ask? It’s a “Big Hairy Audacious Goal”.
No, really. And we didn’t make it up. In fact, it is used by many companies to define visionary goals that are more strategic and emotionally compelling.
“Built to Last” authors James Collins and Jerry Porras suggest that you will know a BHAG by the following characteristics:
– A BHAG should be so clear and compelling that it requires little or no explanation…. If it doesn’t get the people’s juices going then it’s just not a BHAG.
– A BHAG should fall well outside the comfort zone. People in the organization should have reason to believe they can pull it off, yet it should require heroic effort and perhaps even a little luck.
– A BHAG should be so bold and exciting in its own right that it would continue to stimulate progress even if the organization’s leaders disappeared before it had been completed.
– A BHAG should be consistent with the company’s core ideology.
– BHAGs have a long time frame – 10 to 30 years.
What’s our BHAG?
A Career Break On Every Resume
Clear, compelling, and gets your juices going, right? Bold and exciting. Fits in with our core ideology of making career breaks an acceptable part of our culture. In fact, so acceptable that we want it to be an expected part of ones career path. We know it’s not going to happen overnight, but isn’t that the point of a BHAG?
Ready to help make our BHAG a reality?
Photo from Sean Keener’s presentation at the Travel Blog Exchange Conference. Courtesy of ©KirstenAlanaPhotography/Galavanting
Want to see your photo here? Join our Facebook Fan Page and upload your career break photo onto our Wall. Add a brief description & we may choose to feature it here!