How to Get Started Blogging on Your Career Break
A BLOG’S LIFE – Part 1
A formal apology for the audio quality of this interview! We conducted this interview between Colombia and Belgium and the Skype internet Gods were not with us that day! We’ve tried to transcribe the main points below!
- 1:05 – What should people consider when they want to blog about the travels– For family and friends – still post on a regular basis
- 1:55 – Making money from the experience requires more effort. Recommend start 1 year before you leave if possible.
- 2:30 – What’s the difference between blogging for fun and blogging for money?– Fun = Can be less formal and go with the flow, consistency not as important- Money = Very important to establish a schedule and stick to it
- 4:30 – What’s the best time to start a blog?– Dave started his 11 months before he left home. It helped him find his voice and style. The more time the better.
- 5:14 – The readers like to read about the preparation. It’s important to document the steps you are taking so people can use it as a resource.
- 6:10 – What do you need to start a blog– Access to computer and internet connection!- For casual bloggers you don’t need to bring your own laptop- WordPress software is free and can be found at www.wordpress.org– Dave’s recommendation!- Buy your own domain name. This is important if you want to blog for money.
- 8:29 – How do you build a cohesive blog?– Think about what your niche or topic is. This helps you build an audience.- Incorporate photography. Provides an easy visual experience. Breaks up the writing and helps expand your audience.
- 10:12 – What would have you done differently?– Spend a bit more money in the beginning to start out with a professional theme (frontend to wordpress). People will take you more seriously with a theme and it helps to attract advertisers. $75- Spend money on a domain name $10- Spend money to host your blog $75
A BLOG’S LIFE – Part 2
David Lee shares with Sherry some of his favorite travel blogs as well as some skills you can learn in advance of your journey that will enhance your blog. (Runtime – 9:13)
- :56 – What are the elements of a good blog– Everything Everywhere is very honest and open about what he writes. Posts a Photo of the Day also. Good at forecasting trends that are happening.- Two Backpackers include HD video into their blog regularly (not an easy task!). Honest writing – they tell it like it is.- Backpack with Brock – Film student who blogged solely in HD Video. (If you want to do this – make sure you have some experience editing.)
- 4:06 – Content is the most important. Being honest, using photography or video.
- 4:52 – What do you recommend to do before you go to prepare?– Photography lessons- Travel Writing class
- 6:12 – Travel Writing/photography tip – Take pictures of small moments you come across when you are traveling and not only the landmarks.
- 7:45 – Don’t be intimidated, it’s not highly technical.
Resources Referenced by David Lee:
- Backpack with Brock Follow One Guy Around the World in HD Video
- Everything Everywhere Gary Arndt’s Round the World Travel Blog
- Go Backpacking Around the World
- Medellin Living Colombia Lifestyle and Travel Blog
- Travel Blog Success Build a Better Travel Blog
- Two Backpackers Budget Backpacking and World Travels
- www.GoDaddy.com Domain Names and Web Hosting